Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Since I'm Up

There have been a lot of questions about me and deaning so since I
happen to be awake from the job with some very strong feelings about
it... here yah go.

So if you were to ask me, I LOVE this job. I really do. Why, well it's
hard to explain. Most people would think I'm crazy. I love working with
people, even tho it may be angry parents or fighting girls, I can
handle it. And I guess I just like being able to settle things and talk
them through it. I'm using my social work degree (in progress) daily,
which btw it is SOOOO different actually dealing with an abused girl
then practicing on friends in a class room. There are a lot of hurting
girls. They come here with some of the most messed up lives and you can
give them the one thing they need-LOVE. and they love you back, miss
you when you're gone, idolize you, want to be near you. It's kind of
scary to be looked up to like that. But at the same time it's very
empowering.

What do I do in a day? Well that is is all dependent
on THE PHONE. I am going to come up with a horrible name for it to
display my feelings towards it. Right now it's "the curse" but that
just doesn't begin to...begin. Currently I am awake because of it. When
I'm on duty there is rarely a night that I am in bed before 12:30, as
was the case last night. then at 7:30 I start getting phone calls. This
mornings favorite was a parent asking "can you give me the number to
the school?" I'm sure that was very important to her but man I would
have loved to be sleeping. so after an hour of phone calls every ten
minutes, crawling in and out of bed, being jolted awake by that STUPID
PHONE! I finally just stayed out of bed and guess what! The phone
stopped ringing. amazing... it does tricks.

But really, that's what decides my day. I don't know what I really do. it's sporadic
because the phone may interrupt what I'm doing and I have to stop and
go take care of it. Today it's a Sam's run to refill girls club store
and a trip to the doctor. I was talking to the head dean last night,
basically, you don't plan ahead to do anything because well, it's going
to change. Yesterday I was supposed to go to the Biltmore house with
Carrie, Ryan, and Jaclyn, it turned out to be driving for service day
and two staff meetings. There are days you just don't get the planned
day off and the needs find you even if you don't have the phone.

But I work with a great staff. I mean, I work in a community. You always
have friends or at least people that care. Working with them on a staff
level has been very different. As a student you can tag them very
wrongly. Instead I've found a God filled group of adults that really
struggle to do what's best for these kids. And let me tell you it's not
always easy to know. I've spent many a staff meeting in prayer trying
to know what to do. If I didn't have God I think this job would be
impossible.

So I'm happy. If I've gotten to sleep, lol, then I
love getting up in the morning. the days are great and there is no
school to ruin my life. What more can I ask for...

No comments: