Tuesday, October 30, 2007

No Genius Found Here.

The time has come for me to admit something. *grits teeth, deep breath* I HATE REFRIED BEANS! Or is it the grocery store? Yeah, we'll just go with both. This may strike you as odd, but as I am about to tell you, it is well founded.

Pushing my cart through the grocery store, I glanced down at my shopping list to see what I was missing when my eye caught the dreaded item, "refried beans." My mind drifted back to weeks earlier when I had been on a quest for the very same item in a grocery store not so far away. I had spent 15 minutes of my precious time searching high and low for what I desired, only to give up in frustration. They could not be located in either the bean section or the Hispanic food section. NO I was not going to ask for help. What an abomination, ME having to ask for refried beans! I mean come on it's not like it's some obscure item like...guava! I had looked at every single can on the bean isle and was sure they were not kept there. So instead of looking stupid, I decided they were stupid and inept and did not carry refried beans.

A week later, Rosa, Josh, and I ended up at the very same grocery store, not so far away, in a quest for Ramen Noodles. While there I...stupidly as I would find out shortly...decided to see if they could find the substance. After a short search they began to agree with me and I was feeling rather good about myself and disgusted with the store until I heard, from isles down!!! josh yelling my name. Upon arrival at his isle I found a smiling Josh holding none other then a can of refried beans. Apparently I had forgotten to check the AMERICAN Mexican isle. The experience greatly wounded me and I have since boycotted the grocery store not so far away, whose name I will not mention but it's initials are FOODLION!

Back to the present, and today's grocery store of choice, I found myself glaring at the piece of paper I held in my hand wondering how I had let myself run out of the disliked item. But unfortunately I had so I set off once more on my quest for refried beans, hoping that those who stocked the shelves of Bilo had developed better organizational genius.

I began on what should be the most obvious of locations, the bean isle. That was a negative. Next was the American Mexican area...They only had beans containing lard. Alright, Hispanic section. What DO you know. This store had them. But wait, this is not the brand I usually buy, and being a creature of habit and returned to the previous isle in search of the correct brand. Yeah...no. FINE I'll break from habit and buy THESE! Certainly they should have carried the most popular brand of refried beans that are found in every other grocery store I have ever been to, but at the moment I am not in the mood for another conquest.

Yeah no genius found here. If I were in charge of the bean world I would naturally put LIKE ITEMS TOGETHER. Refried beans happen to carry the title of beans which would to me mean that they should be found among others of the same title. Therefore when looking for beans, all brands, types, and genres are seen and can be compared without traveling to other isles.

Don't get me started on the enchilada sauce...

2 comments:

Ryan and Jaclyn said...

You know what I have trouble finding, now that Ryan is around and wants it... MUSHROOMS. It could be that I'm shopping in Walmart which has serious organizational and stocking issues, but then again, you'd think I could find them when I get them there all the time.

Anonymous said...

You have issues girl....Refried Beans are the easiest item on the market. Try an item like Texas Pete, Hot Sauce. Such a rare item, but bursting with flavor.

knightmare