Thursday, June 11, 2009

too be little again

This week is cub camper week which means 7-10 year olds, and though they wear you out, I'd like to put in my vote that they are the absolute best. I've been enjoying being girls director this year because I have had a whole lot more contact with the kids. I can't walk anywhere without having kids tackle me with hugs. Love it!

One cabin chants "hail queen Stephanie" when they see me walk by. Once it came out "Hail king Stephanie" oops. Then there's the trouble of the cabin named Loblolly Pine. They're lucky if they get it as close as loblobby. While some are right on, usually reports at line call sound something like "Pine, no, loby pine, all accted and present for ma'am" Some just get lost and move their mouths and utter jibberish. Saluting is also a definite difficulty. It's the wrong arm or they shield their whole face.

Monday nights we have Miners Camp and to sum it up, it's a musical in which different characters try to get in the mine. To do this they are trying to convince the manager that they have some great talent. One is rich, one has major muscles, one is smart, and one is beautiful. So after the skit the camp pastor gets up, who is one of the staff here, and starts to tie everything in. He was asking the campers questions about the characters and they were yelling back answers when all of the sudden one of the little girls yells "That beautiful lady would be good for you!" I don't really know how Matt recovered from that because I was laughing too hard, but man what a moment. I do know however that he refused to call on her the next morning at camp council. Can you blame him?

Last night the cabins were all out playing in the park play area waiting for line call. There was a storm coming in however and suddenly out of nowhere there was a huge clap of thunder and lightning bolt hit not too far away. Girls started screaming as only girls can while the boys director and I went into "get the campers inside" mode. Later I heard that after the screams died down, one little romeo stood up, arms splayed, and yelled "I'll save you ladies!" What a hero :)

Where else would I work but camp?

No comments: