Thursday, June 11, 2009

and so it began


After so many weeks of preparation and hours and hours of sitting in a class room talking about this trip, we were finally on our way!

A red eye flight all night later we arrived in England. Just in case you were wondering, all the Tylenol pm did was make me miserable. Very little sleep for me especially with the 3 children screaming in tandem.

But apparently you wouldn't know it or else I'm hiding it very well the next morning, brushing our teeth in between flights in the airport.

Coming in to Brussels Belgium. Doesn't look very different really. At least not until you get close.
This is the sign for "exit"
Our first of VERY many trains. Mom and Dad, this is where I called you from to say I'd made it.

Waiting to leave. Yeah now I'm showing it and it's only about 1 in the afternoon.One freezing cold wait at the train station for an hour.

And then we finally arrive in Brugge. That cream building is our hotel.


Inside as you walk in the hotel. It was really old, like 15th century or something.
Our room was really an apartment.
Our first meal and man was it good. Not to keep complaining but I hadn't eaten in a day and by this point I was running a temp and achy all over, so the soup was just what I needed, well, next to sleep.

It was Natalie's birthday and so the waitor on the left, who could speak 9 different languages by the way, had this ginormous belgian waffle made for her.
Belgium has chocolate shops every other store almost AND there was even one named after me!


This is Market square and that tower was started in the 13th century with each section being added in the next century so I think it was finished in maybe the 16th or 17th. And what's even cooler is that there is a small metal model so the blind can feel what it looks like.

The next morning after I finally got some sleep but was twice as sick :( we started the day off at the market. This is me and my professor eating every fruit sample possible.
However this extremely good looking display was a total downer heh heh

waiting for the canal ride

Nobody can tell you why but for some reason, by law, the city is required to keep a certain number of swans.



When we left Belgium the next day we came through this station and it was probably my favorite of the whole trip. These pictures don't do it justice.



1 comment:

MJ said...

I enjoyed your trip picts so much! Keep on blogging. See ya in a couple months. (from Estes Park public library!)