Monday, June 08, 2009

taken over by tourists


We got to Venice and spent the evening walking around enjoying the sights.
This is how you get over to it by train.


Amanda on our balcony, and unfortunately I think this is the only picture I have of our room. It wasn't that great and it had bed bugs. Miserable.

Our hotel. The gate at the end led into a garden. People in Italy all hang their clothes out to dry. Those lines are everywhere.

Matise, the hotel dog, in her favorite spot.


Each family has their own poles with their own colors or crests. You can tell how much money each family has by how fancy they are.


St. Marks Square. It was so incredibly full of people. Cruise ships come in by the droves and drop off thousands of people.



You travel everywhere by water taxi. There are no boats or bikes allowed.

Mary Jane I took this just for you. I thought it would be adequate for your needs.

We escaped the tourist crowded main island, or I guess it's technically a lagoon, to Murano for lunch.

And then to another outlying island called Burano that is known for it's colorful houses. It's a cute little fishing village.


Out looking for a gondola and something to eat.

Since there was nothing on the menu that I could eat I kindly said I'd take nothing so...he brought me nothing.

If you ever do this, bring lots of friends. Its 100 euros for a 15 minute ride. But what an experience.

You're supposed to kiss somebody every time you go under a bridge... hmmm


Enter a big hole for the beach day. I will say this about that... Everybody was wearing as little as possible if anything at all. Sorry no pictures.

Back from the beach we went up into a bell tower in St Marks Square.


This is what Venice looks like from above.


The bells went off twice while we were up there. Bout blew my ears off :)
The entrance to Saint Marks Square from above. Anybody recognize this from Italian Job?

Then came just about the most fun part of the trip.
Feeding pigeons in the square
When the food falls out of your hands they attach your feet. Tiny beak nibbling at you. Very freaky at first.
And well this picture speaks for itself.

1 comment:

MJ said...

That pigeon on your head must have been scary! Did he leave a gift!?! Yes, the "boat" you took a pict. of for me would definitely be adequate! Thanks for thinking of me. I'm sure going to miss our boat this summer when we get home. I told Randy without the boat in working order, let's just keep traveling!