Sunday, June 07, 2009

there's just something about Paris

I've always heard about Paris and that people loved it and I arrived determined to not be affected by all the hype but then...well, there's just something about Paris.
Everywhere you look there is extremely cool architecture. Napoleon practically built the entire place with the help of a few others.

This is the Pantheon in the Latin Quarter so named because that was the language spoken there. It was the center for education.

This is the square where that guy who was the first king to be assassinated was beheaded I believe. Also Bloody Mary? but don't quote me on that. I took in a whole lot of information in 4 weeks and I'm having trouble remembering it all.

My first view of the Eiffel Tower!!! taken from the tour bus. Don't meditate on this one too long. There are billions of other photos to come from all angles since I couldn't decide which ones I liked the best.

This is the Ritz Hotel where Diana walked out of the night she died. I heard them tell me that I was near the tunnel but I never was able to find it. :(

This is a famous bookstore where many famous authors have come to sit and write their books as I understand it. There are book sellers along the roads everywhere you go as well but I don't think I have a picture of those. :(

This is a little chapel called Sainte Chapelle that was used by a family. I believe it was built in the 13th Century and known for its stain glass windows.

There are 14 panels like this and they depict Genesis through the Resurrection.
This is the Arche de Triumph. Basically it's a memorial to all of Napolean's battles. The traffic around this thing is crazy. There are no lanes and people just shove themselves right into the middle. I don't know how they stay alive.


The back of Notre Dame


The front

And then I believe this is the inside but I'm sorry it doesn't do it justice. It's probably one of my favorite churches.

The Luvre

Inside the courtyard. I houses a museum of artifacts and art now but it used to be a palace and it's HUGE.

This is one of Napolean's rooms.

Yep that's me with the REAL one! It's kind of small. Sorry the picture quality isn't better but there is a mob trying to do the exact same thing I am.
We had lunch Saturday in Luxembourg park.

Another view of the park, and Jen!
These guys are everywhere. Very intimidating.

And now for the Eiffel Tower show...




Starting at 10 pm they light it up on the hour with sparkling lights for about 5 minutes. Notice how light it was at 10 at night.


This doesn't even begin to show you what Paris is like but hopefully you got the idea.

1 comment:

MJ said...

Sounds like you loved your visit to Paris. Lovely picts. of the Eiffel tower. They didn't do the sparkly lights at night when we were there in 1982.