Monday, June 08, 2009

be prepared for some amazing scenery


Switzerland!
Our hotel! My room was on the far right coming out onto the balcony.

The balcony view

Inside the room.

The duvets were great. We slept with the windows open every night even though it was 30 degrees and I was still plenty warm. Best I've ever slept in my life.

Room keys are a little different.

This waterfall was right next to our hotel and you could hear it at night. The sheep below each had bells around their necks and it sounded like wind chimes as they grazed.

The view from just out of the hotel.

These are cow bells and they are extremely heavy. I truly feel sorry for the poor animals. Just to help you out, I could fit my head in that one and still have plenty of room.

We took a gondola ride up the side of the mountain the first morning.

And there was the view! I believe this is looking out to the top of Europe which is exactly that, the highest point.



Their water fountains. Europe in general does it this way, a pole with water shooting out. But let me tell you, this was THE BEST water I have ever had. Better than ice cream and you think I'm kidding.


There are quite a few paragliders around. Half of our group went. There's also base jumping and any type of sport you can do in the mountains.


Walking between villages


Fastest slide ever. Entirely too much fun.

After the hecticness of most of the trip it was nice to be in the relaxing atmosphere of Switzerland. We had a lot of time off and I spent a good part of it sitting on our porch reading or writing in my journal I had to do for the class.
Asa got a splinter and we had to hold her down to get it out.

Out for an afternoon walk and these guys were walking down the main road of town.
It was a great walk. Natalie's happy to have ice because it is a rarity in Europe. We had a lady flatly refuse to give it to us in Paris because it wasn't the right season, but then she also told us that American's liked to make food that made them fat. hmmm ok she's probably right.
I want one of these.

The last day we took a cruise on Lake Brienz





Lunch on the dock, waiting for the boat to come back and pick us up, which it never did and we had to run through town to another stop.



But while we waited I got to feed the swans and enjoy the sun so it wasn't too terrible.

4 comments:

Author said...

Gorgeous. Looks like you had so much fun. I want to live in Switzerland now.

Ryan and Jaclyn said...

All I can say is - Switzerland looks amazing. I want to go there now.

Ryan and Jaclyn said...

Oh, and I was going to say that I think water fountains like that would decrease the germage in them since the water is not going back into the fountain after you touch it and nobody is going to get close enough to the spout to get their germs on it. OUR water fountains are one of the germiest things in the US - I learned this thanks to A&P at SAU.

MJ said...

Wow - Switzerland is like heaven on earth! Your pictures are so great. I hope you get to go there someday, Jaclyn, and take Ryan along. You'll BOTH love it.