Thursday, August 02, 2007

Dean's Diaries

So apparently I'm a dean now... Amazing really.

Mom and I drove up with all of my stuff on Tuesday, did some shopping and then she drove back Wednesday morning. I had the pleasure of being in staff meetings most of the day. It's been interesting getting to know the staff on a different level, seeing how much they really do care about the students and that they are actually in touch with what the students want and need. As a student, who knew??? They've been having fun with me and Rosa (another task force that also graduated from Pisgah... you'll be hearing about her a lot I'm sure since she's also my house mate.) trying to get us to call them by their first names. I'm getting better, but I have a long way to go.

As yet I haven't been able to move into my appartment. Jason and Heather were unable to get moved into their house because of the carpeting company. I've spent a lot of time helping Heather with the moving process. Last night we cleaned for a good 4 or 5 hours. Somehow her freezer got shut before it had completely dethawed, and unfortunately this meant that the entire thing was covered in mold. Jason was a pal and cleaned it up for us... Our Knight in shining armor. We had a lot of fun catching up and just plain talking. She was my assistant dean my sophomore year here.

We haven't worked together too much yet but, I think Dean Sharon and I will get a long really well. Her one year old daughter, Samantha, LOVES my keys and my cell phone. I walk into the office and get attacked until I give them to her. :)

Tonight I get the dorm( aka: dean on duty), all to myself. All withstanding I really have no idea who the girls are that are here right now and what their schedule is, but I'm sure I'll learn fast! I've met a few of the girls. I remember being here and meeting my assistant dean and what I thought about the meeting etc. I keep thinking "they must be thinking that about me too!" not sure what I think about that, other then this is SOOO odd!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff. "Deaning" will be your thing this year. You will do well at it, a natural. I'm proud of you!

Anonymous said...

I didn't remember that Heather was your dean. That's cool. I'm looking forward to visiting you again. I can the McNitts too while I am there. Mom

Surfs Up said...

It was great to see you in Collegedale today! I hope you get moved into your apartment soon. Hopefully not too many more staff meetings to sit through. It looks like you guys had fun in D.C.