Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Vacation

This weekend Mom and I headed up to Virginia, DC, and Maryland to see some family. We neglected to bring a camera for that part of it...sorry. We spent Friday evening and Saturday at Uncle Kit's and then Sunday we managed to see the other 3 siblings that live around there. It was pretty exhausting but a lot of fun. I spent 2 hours learning to play pool like a pro. The main shot I spent my time on was just hitting it straight. He'd line up three balls (almost touching each other) on one end of the table, take out the middle one and I'd have to, from the other end, shoot it between the two without touching them. I wish I could show you how almost impossible that is. But I'm proud to say that I got the trick down...pretty much. My uncle competes. I didn't know it was possible to get that sore; my back and neck were killing me the next day.

We also spent time in DC with my Aunt Sharon. If you haven't ever been into the Willard Hotel you need to go. It's gorgeous. Lincoln and...somebody else important stayed there. Well really a lot of important people have stayed there. Its definitely the place.

Aunt Kathy helped to bring out a lot of childhood secrets about Mom... I found it to be very enlightening. :) But don't worry Mom, I'm not telling, I promise.

Sunday night late we arrived in Williamsburg where Dad met up with us. And Monday was devoted to Jamestown, which if you don't know is the first American settlement.

With the arrival of Dad we now have pictures! This is in the model of Jamestown...


They've rebuilt the ships and actually sail them every-once-in-awhile. This is the largest one, I think called the "Godspeed"

Mom, and Dad up at the bell.


I don't really remember who's house this was but I know that it is built on the original studs that they found. They have been excavating the fort and this is the actual sight. The day I was there they found antlers and a bowl.. Not terribly exciting I know, but I got to watch them dig it out.


This is the rebuilt church on the original foundation. Looks like they used churches for burial grounds even then. They were required to go to church 15 times a week or suffer the consequences. Oh and if you so much as picked a butter cup you might get sentenced to death. Hows that for conservation?


This is supposed to be pretty much exactly what John Smith looked like. What a disappointment, he looks nothing like the dashing young man in Pocahontas...lol The whole movie is totally wrong anyway. It's like another Santa Claus story that the kids grow up to find out is not true...

Tuesday was Yorktown, which is the battle that basically got us our freedom from Brittan. Those tents behind us that you can't really see housed 6 men. I don't know how you'd get four in there, and that's without belongings.

The surgeon's tent... yeah lets just be glad we live in an age of technology. They had no clue what they were doing for the most part and the disease sounds better then the cure if you ask me.


Each...section...for lack of the real term was required to make their own food so they each built one of these everywhere they stopped, and that's how they cooked their food.


Of course their's lots of shooting going on... I wish you could see this guy's face. It's priceless.


This is the field the battle was actually fought on. So peaceful now.


These are actual "redoubts" which basically means trenches...

It's amazing what they still have. George Washington's tent is still in tact and they have Cornwallis' table... Makes you kinda wonder what people will be digging up of ours later. Probably nothing, we're not that exciting and who knows if there will be people around that long.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to hear all about Renee's childhood secrets!