Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Picture Perfect

Once during every rainstorm I always go through the bit about sitting inside by a fire with a good book watching the rain come down, and hearing it bounce of the roof. A classic sentimentalist I know but one could always wish. I think everybody wishes about that kind of thing but never really expects it to happen. I mean does it ever? Not in America where doing nothing is a crime. Maybe that's harsh but that's sometimes how I feel. True true I bring it on myself.

But tonight, sentimentalist me got my wish. Not in the picture perfect way I expected, but none-the-less extremely refreshing, and honestly, much better then my daydreaming. I'm in the middle of a two week break, which never means that I can totally do nothing, but it's the calm between the storm anyway. I decided to bring my book out on the porch and read for awhile. Let me just describe it to you...

Slightly reclining in my chair, digesting a gripping book, cool night with a slight breeze, crickets chirping, and two little green tree frogs uttering rumblings of happiness as they sat under the light catching all the bugs that would occasionally disturb my utopia, but for the most part enjoyed blasting themselves off of the light in drunken attempts to reach their beloved brilliance. It was almost perfect. And then to top it off, it started to lightly drizzle. It was so perfect I could hardly contain myself. The phrase "drinking it all in" would probably most adequately describe the situation.

If I were a doctor, which thank goodness I will never be, I would prescribe that to any and every patient that came by. If I didn't have a life I would have stayed out there forever. And for years to come as I'm slaving away at whatever the grind of choice is for that day, I'm sure I will look back at my picture perfect night and be absolutely jealous of myself.

1 comment:

Ryan and Jaclyn said...

How profound