Tuesday, September 16, 2008

who am I?

So I have this incredibly weird phenomenon growing ever stronger that has to do with my name. It started some years back, my freshman year of highschool, with a former roommate's father and now everybody's doing it. If people don't know my name, they will ALWAYS call me Jennifer. Don't think I've ever been called anything else (well other then Jaclyn but we'll get to that in a minute). A boss of mine that I've had for 2 1/2 years called me Jennifer twice the other day. Then today one of my more new bosses who's learning my name called me Jennifer all morning this morning. I could name you examples all day. Was there a world wide memo that went out to call me Jennifer? I just find it totally odd.

But then there's the Jaclyn one... Most recently it's been happening at my brother-in-laws softball games. Dr. King who is on ryan's team came up to me and wished me many congratulations on the marriage. I just smiled and pointed to Jaclyn who was standing right next to me. Then follows the inevitable embarrassment and my explanation that I really don't mind. I walked up to a friend from summer camp last night and it took him a good 30 seconds to start talking to me after I said hello. He just kept looking at Jaclyn and then finally was like, "Stephanie? I so thought that was you earlier." and points to my sister.

But then there's the absolute best... (sorry jeff, I just think this is way too funny for me not to tell) I was sitting on the bleachers when Jeff (tanya's boyfriend, also on Ryan's team) walked off the field looking for a place to put his cell phone. I held out my hand but he just stopped and looked at me, finally handed me the phone, started walking away and then turned back around and looked at me again. Finally he says "are you Stephanie? I thought you were..." and then points to ryan. To which I totally burst out laughing. Jeff had seen me like 45 minutes prior and knows both Jaclyn and I which usually helps out the situation.

I concede!!! I look exactly like her. Cracks me up. Maybe this is why I had that dream that I was pretending to be Jaclyn and nobody knew the difference. I swear I could pull it off. For the record if you are ever unsure as to who I am, it's ok, I don't mind, just yell Jennifer, Jaclyn, or Stephanie. I come to all three.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would it help if I started calling you Emma?...mix it up a bit! :) Everyone in England thinks I have the weirdest name seeing as they pronounce it in the way you'd say the word 'tar'. I then have to repeat the 'correct' way I've always pronounced my name - the same way all my family does. Thinking I'm saying Terry and still obviously confused they ask me to spell my name, which I do: T-A-R-A. Ohhhh, they say, you mean Tar-a! Arg! So I end up answering to 3 variations of my name. :p Not quite the same as yours I know, but I couldn't resist sharing. :)

Anonymous said...

That's so funny :-) When people get my name wrong it is always Leslie.

Anonymous said...

You are not alone...I am often called Jenny, Heidi, or Heather oh and Hilary was a new one this week.