Monday, September 08, 2008

supper time at the village

It's five o'clock and I'm standing over the stove stirring a pot of chili, while Grace sits at the kitchen table working on her research paper. Tanya walks in carrying a big bag of stuff for some sandwich she'd seen some other guy eating, so she thought she'd make one herself, complete with dried mangoes on the side. Supper time begins.

So we're all sitting there comparing food and talking about our day, taking bites out of each others meals. Problem is Tanya is having a tad bit of difficulty keeping her sandwich together. Being the genius that she is, she devised a brilliant plan of putting all the ingredients in separate heaps around her plate and placing them one by one into her mouth. This takes a bit of speed however, as you want to make sure to get all the flavors in your mouth at the same time. I'm totally cracking up beside her chanting "faster! faster!" food flying in and out of her mouth as she tries to comply. (real grown up, I know lol) So much for being able to taste anything.

I'm in mid bite when I look over at Tanya. She's holding up a piece of mango, a large bite missing from one end. She's glaring at me with one eye, nostrils flaring. "Did you bite this? hmmmm?" I most certainly had not! "I can tell it's you by the sliiiiiight over bite" I most certainly do not have an over bite! To prove my innocence I grabbed another piece, bit into it, and held it up to the other one. "told you!" Tanya's glaring eye transfers from me to grace, who is totally oblivious to the ongoing investigation. "BITE THIS GRACE!" she yells. Grace, totally upset by the fact that mango is half being shoved up her nose, keeps her mouth clamped shut so I join in. "do it Grace... bite it! BITE IT!" After a few tries we finally get a large enough sample and following careful scrutinization, the committee decides it was indeed Grace. Glad that I am no longer the cheif suspect, I begin my accusations. "Grace! It was YOU that bit this and put it back in the container! waaaaasn't it!?" Grace looks hurt. "I did not!" "we know it was you Grace, the bites match perfectly." more bite mark scrutinization... finally after much deliberation we decide that it must be from the packager at the store, a terrible realization, but a decision at the very least.

Don't you wish your supper time was this exciting?

No comments: