Friday, December 21, 2007

The early bird gets exterminated

I write this today as a person who is living in what I hope to be a mouse free house...although I'm not counting chickens. As promised, I won the war this morning (or was it just a battle?).

Thanks to a kindly man at Walmart I was able to locate the mouse traps and to my amazement, they had just the thing. It was a neck snapping trap enclosed in a little black box! It even came with a money back guarantee. Just the ticket...except that the first one was broken...and well, it would have been much better if it had entirely closed around the mouse instead of me being able to see in it at all. But I bought a second one, baited it, and placed it last night.

It was a scary thing to go to bed. What if I had to wake up to a screaming mouse as the trap snapped his neck? But I hoped against hope that I was a much harder sleeper then that, and went to bed anyway. Funny how things never work that way for me.

I had woken up early this morning to open the dorm doors so the girls could go to work and was back in bed, tottering on the edge of sleep, when BAM! loud snapping noise in the kitchen shook me wide awake. Thank goodness there was no screaming. How in the world did he know I was awake? Couldn't he have come out some other time? Stupid mouse.

Two hours later I was pulled from sleep once again to retrieve a girl from bed and make her go to work. Remembering what had happened earlier, I entered my kitchen to find a trap with a small tail protruding out of it. Death confirmed, 6:31 am. So like the grown up that I am, I ran back to bed and pretended it didn't happen.

But let me tell you it's hard to sleep with a dead mouse in the house, and so me, myself, and I, walked back into the kitchen grabbed the trap, took it to the dumpster and disposed of the varmint. You would have been proud.

by the way... if any other mouse should think my house warm and cozy and want to try this stunt, let this serve as a warning; I am armed, ready, and waiting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uh, I like your story but I want a PICTURE!!!

Surfs Up said...

That's true, where is the picture!!! That's great that you got #2!! Mice don't scream either I don't think! We should have stopped by when we stopped at Matt and Marca's on Wednesday night on the way to the Iverson's. Have a great Christmas, when do you get to go home for break?

golftooter said...

That is a great story! Reminds me of a time when Cheri and I were visiting her grandpa in Olkahoma. First time I had met him. Behind his chair was a baited mousetrap.

While we were visiting, a mouse would sneak out and sniff around the trap. We could see the mouse and trap but no one else could. It was very hard to concentrate on the conversation, what with the envisioned snap and squished mouse.

No, the mouse didn't get caught while we were there.