Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Thoughts from a tired mind.

Sometimes I find myself counting wasted time in minutes. If I'm standing in line too long, I'm thinking about how much homework I could have done instead. If I eat lunch fast enough I can have it done between the cafe and my room. yahda yahda yahda. And then there are the times when I have so much to do but I get in my own way. For instance....

Mission was to get to my sisters to drop off my laundry. I'd just gotten off work, lunch was nasty so I thought I'd go to CK's. I get in my room can't find my book bag. I'd left it at work. Walking out through the main lobby to my car, I realize that I'd forgotten my keys. Go back to my room grab them and some CD's for my sister. After walking halfway out to my car I remember that I had decided that I'll go get my book bag first which was in the other direction. Half way to work I remember I didn't get my laundry which was the whole purpose for this trip anyway! 30 minutes later I'd finally made it to my sisters.

Then there's just the long days. Today was a 6:45-11 day. AKA long. to give you more perspective I took probably about an hour total of time off. It was work by eight, study, class, quick lunch, study madly for a test, classes, back to work. Work was soooo busy. I wanted to shoot myself. Because of a few issues that we're dealing with I ended up in a meeting (getting nothing done) and we're going to have another one tomorrow. Forcing myself to leave things undone, I left work by five and ate lunch as I walked to my room. stared at the cealing for 5 minutes and then to Jaclyns to do laundry and homework. 6:30 went to committee meeting number one. 7 senate started. After senate I walked between three committee meetings trying to catch the main points of each. I think I did pretty well. Up to my sisters again to grab my books and then to the music building. I'm required to listen to music for an hour for each period of music. Great! I can do two things at once. Fill the paper out as fast as possible and then read other homework while the music is playing. Back up to my sisters to grab laundry, go to my room to put it away and then I'm off to worship to get some credit. Oh great she says it's going to go long. And it was. Almost and hour instead of the usual thirty.

Where am I going with all this? I promise I'm not just whining. As it turned out the speaker was GREAT. For a brief moment she touched on making things our idols. We've all heard it before, but after today it struck me a new. I talked to God for about 5 minutes today. Somewhere in between classes probably. Oh and I probably yelled at him for help with my spanish test. The world would say that I'm doing great. Being really prestigious. I signed up for three service things today! Ooooh brownie points to me. But really I've lost sight of what truly matters. It's so easy to get off on what the world expects because its right infront of me. And even if it weren't, I'm such an over achiever. A good friend once said to me "I'd talk to you (on MSN instant messenger) but you are always set to away!" Those words kept running through my head today since the worlds "online" hardly saw the light of day. Why isn't taking time for ourselves allowed? But more importantly, why don't I give my day to God and let him fix the mess that has become my life?

No comments: