Friday, November 14, 2008

Extremely Casual Fridays

Every year Southern puts on a school spirit week which is never much of a smashing success. In part I blame in on the fact that we are adults with jobs outside of class, and taking the time to de-craze our hair or un-retro ourselves, is just a bit of a hassle. I admit, tho school spirit day in highschool was what I lived for, I barely acknowledge it's presence here. Except for the one day that I keep quite religiously--pajama day. Unfortunately I ran into the issue of work as well. Attire at the office is all of a professional type. Many important people come in and out during the day so we must dress accordingly. Though it would take more work, I decided on bringing a change of clothes and wearing my PJ's for the rest of the day.

Stepping out of the elevator at work, clad in my polka dot PJ's and brightly striped slippers with pom poms, I ran straight into my boss Tricia who gave me the oddest look. "Don't worry, I'm going to go change" I quickly said.Her answer however was "why? Keep them on!" Sweeeeeeeet. I must add that the extreme excitement I felt in being able to wear PJ's to work did not take time to realize the psychological ramifications that would follow. You just feel funny walking down the halls among people in full business attire as if you are caught in a nightmare and EVERYBODY is staring at you.

I was standing in Tricia's office going through some files when President Bietz and a faculty member walked in. I looked up to find Dr. Bietz staring at me. I smiled to myself and kept working, only to look up at him again and find he was still staring at me, obviously confused. This time I decided to smile but offered no explanation. He gave me a quirky smile in return and slowly turned back to what he was doing.

Walking out of the office I was followed by our illustrious VP, Dr Young who is business in human form. I could just feel him staring at me and when I went into my office his eyes stayed on my feet. Minutes later Tricia walks into my office giggling. "guess what just happened?!" Apparently Dr Young had walked up to Tricia and in absolute seriousness and graveness sought the information on his mind. (I encourage you to meditate on the mental picture here)

Leaning in he quitely asked, "is our student worker wearing her pajamas?" Puffing up her chest and smiling as if there wasn't a reason in the world that this would be odd, Tricia answered "yes she sure is!" Dr Young let this sink in, furrowed his brow, and proceeded with a simple "why?" Tricia explained to which he replied "oh" and retreated into his office. He must have thought we were all losing our collective minds. Though there were many opportunities to say something to me about the situation he never did but instead chose to never acknowledge my presence. You can't really blame him. Besides, by this point all he would have had to do was look at me and I would have burst out laughing.

Here's to living extremely casual friday's to their fullest.

No comments: