Friday, May 02, 2008

Father Not Included

Asheville is known, among other things, for it's extremely high percentage of gay and lesbian residents. We may be as high on the list as second or third most populated in the country if I do remember correctly. For this reason most people are able to correctly assume that when one sees a couple of the same sex taking a stroll through the mall, they are probably...."together." I know, because I am guilty of it. However when the joke is on you, it becomes somewhat of problem.

Callie and I decided to get some fresh air off campus today and stopped by Cheddars for lunch. We were sitting in the lobby area, Abby in between us, waiting for a table, when a lady came by and began to coo and aww at Abby. Standing up she says as she walks away, "She's adorable! Good for you both!" Now in any other city one could assume that she was confused as to which one of us was the mother. But let me just dare to venture that this was not her problem. Need I continue?

Strolling through Sam's club a bit later it came to my attention that Callie and I had somehow both begun to push the shopping cart together. Not a big deal really until the realization struck. I looked at Callie and said, "Yeah this uhh looks a bit like we're a lesbian couple eh?" GAAAAH! Horror! Two sets of hands come flying off the handle. Abby slowly continues rolling down the isle in the cart while we stand staring at each other in disgust, not sure what just happened and completely at a loss as to what to do about it. Remembering that we have forgotten something we both surge for the cart. Like hands touching a hot stove they both come back off. Gah! Her hand goes on, mine goes off, mine goes back on, her's goes off. I hold up both hands in complete and total surrender, "she's all yours, eh heh heh." Tho slightly shaken, shopping continues.

This moment brought to you by the City of Asheville, and a big fat letter L.

No comments: