Monday, June 30, 2008

small town mail

Every morning at 9:30 I get to drive down the road to pick up the mail. I've grown to love this part of my day. One I get off campus for a few minutes. Two, I get to drive a camp vehicle, which for the most part are just way too much fun to drive. Three, the post office is one of those small town places where you know everybody and everybody knows you.

It's a small white building sitting on the corner with no parking spaces. If there are two cars there, it's a real traffic jam. Mostly you just park right in front of the stairs. No use in walking an extra 5 feet. You open the door and Mary calls out "good morning!" Mary on first introduction appears to be rather grumpy but after she told me that I had the most beautiful eyes she'd seen, I decided she was definitely worth liking. We bring her cookies every once in awhile too, so she tends to like us back. In all honesty tho, she's really pretty great.

While I unload the PO boxes Mary grabs my packages but stops to talk to Pete who always feels the need to shout. "HALLLO! YOU GOT ME SOME PACKAGES!?" It's discussed that mary is going on vacation to the beach. Well good for her! We'll miss her and we want to hear all about it.

I round up my mail and give a slight bow back to Pete as he holds the door open for me. Mary yells "You have a good day now!" behind me. "you too" I answer, and head back to camp.

1 comment:

MJ said...

Mary is right - you DO have gorgeous eyes!